Sunday 22 November 2015

June 24th Wednesday


From: Wallace Island            To: Beaver Point, Saltspring Island
Start time: 0600        Finish time: 1430      Distance: 29.5 km
Tide: Montague Harbour
0655    1.9
1148    2.4
1640    2.0
2353    3.4

     
Leaving Wallace Island
Got out of bed around 4:30 a.m., made a cup of instant coffee and was on the water by 6:00

for another beautiful morning paddle. I headed over to Montague Harbour on Galiano Island, tied up at the dock and went for some bacon and eggs.
A beaver float plane flying under the the power lines
Entering Montague Harbour 
After breakfast I started out of the harbour and crossed over to Prevost and then Saltspring Island. The wind picked up to 12 - 15 knots from the east making for a bit of a slog up wind as I  headed down Captains Passage. Rounding Beaver point on the southern end of Saltspring I started looking for a good place to land at Ruckle Provincial Park. It was mostly a steep rock bluff with wind and large waves (from ferry wakes and other boat traffic) crashing onto it. I opted for a flat area, checked to make sure no ferry wash was coming my way and pulled the kayak up as far as I could, trying not to scratch the bottom too badly. I picked a nice campsite in the trees and set up my tent. My son who has just moved to the island came by after work and we went out for dinner and a tour of the Island. It’s my first time here but I’ll be doing a lot more weekend trips this way now that two of my granddaughters will be here. Later that evening I hung out with some other campers around a community fire pit. Pulling out my bottle of good Irish whisky I enjoyed the last of it as I toasted a successful trip. Off to bed around 9:30 with a little glow on.
My campsite at Ruckle Park, Saltspring Island 

No comments:

Post a Comment