Sunday 22 November 2015

June 23rd Tuesday


From: Blackberry Point, Valdes Island        To: Wallace Island
Start time: 0700        Finish time: 1300      Distance: 20 km
Tide: Valdes Island
0610    2.4
1054    3.0
1635    2.0
2348    4.2

     
Ready to start packing the boat
I was up at 5:30 a.m., made some instant coffee and a bowl of oats. The water was dead calm and was begging me to get out there and enjoy it. I left Blackberry Point around 7:00 and headed across the channel to Thetis Island then I pretty much hugged the shore for the rest of the day.
Heading over to Thetis Island 

The wind picked up to 10 to 12 knots SE, so I was having to paddle against it for a change, but I still made good time weaving my way past Thetis, Kuper, Norway, and Secretary Islands, then finishing the day at Wallace Island Provincial park where I set up camp for the night.
Penelakut Spit on Thetis Island
This island was once owned by David Conover who ran a resort here from 1946 to 1960. He was also a successful author who wrote a few books about his experiences while living here, called “Once Upon An Island”,  “One Man’s Island”, “Sitting on a Saltspring” and “Finding Marilyn”. A few of the old building are still left over form the resort days one of them is full of fun signs.
The house of signs 
more signs inside
I took a nice walk through the trails around the Island. It’s a beautiful place.
I got an invite from a couple to come aboard their sailboat for a cold beer and appetizers - a nice change from my warmish beer. I was in bed by 9:00.
Some spectacular trails on Wallace
Meadow on Wallace Island
Add caption

No comments:

Post a Comment