Sunday 22 November 2015

June 17th Wednesday


From: Willington Beach Campground, Powell River         To: Cockburn Bay, Nelson Island
Start time: 0600        Finish time: 1530      Distance: 38 km
Tide: Powell River
0432    4.7
1025    2.9
1528    4.3
2221    1.2

     
Heading Down Malaspina Channel, Texada Island on the right
I climbed out of bed at 4:30 am and was on my way by 6:00. The day started out a little lumpy but soon got better. I paddled relatively close to shore today which always makes for more interesting scenery as opposed to hopping from point to point. I had been concerned all morning about strong currents while crossing the mouth of Jervis Inlet, but when I got there it looked good and I shot straight across from Scotch Fir Point over to Alexander Point on Hardy Island in 30 minutes with hardly any current at all. When I reached Musket Island I went to check out the campsite there but couldn’t find anywhere to land so I just kept on paddling south. 

     I have been noticing many of the older cottages and shacks along the shoreline since Lund, old summer vacation homes from days gone by, some still in use others neglected and a few are still well maintained. Most of them I think have a lot of character and seem to fit in with their surroundings very well. These are now being replaced by bigger fancy homes or residential developments that look very beautiful - I guess, but seem to be lacking in coastal character. That’s my opinion. Maybe I’m just getting old and don't like to see change. 
Older cottages and modern homes

     I made it to Cockburn Bay on Nelson Island around 3:30 after a beautiful day of paddling. I love being on my own in such incredible scenery, no interruptions just nature and my own thoughts, so peaceful. 
The cabin at Cockburn Bay
Cockburn Bay was the icing on the cake what a great campsite, complete with an old log cabin and a over grown grass field and orchard behind it. The date on the fireplace said 1938 but I think the house may have been built around an old fireplace from a previous building. The door was open and there was a guest book for visitors to sign, as well as books on the shelves to read. It was kept neat and reasonably clean.
Some great craftsmanship went into this place 
 I set my tent up outside but did my cooking in the shade of the kitchen. Walking through the orchard I found a   gravel road that I followed for about an hour before turning back.
Old orchard behind the cabin
After dinner I went down to the beach looking for a nice piece of straight grain cedar that I split in half to make two 1 X 4 X 16 inch boards. I was going to attach these to my kayak cart to distribute the weight of my heavily loaded boat over a larger area. As it was, the hull would have sat on four hard pieces of plastic that would dig into the fiberglass hull, potentially damaging it.

Making a couple of boards for my kayak cart
     
That should work just need to tie them to the cart at the ferry terminal 
Later that evening while relaxing on the beach I watched as a twenty five foot sailboat under power approached, turning sharply in one direction then again in another. As it got closer I could hear loud music and the drunken voices of young men. One minute they would be laughing and the next yelling angrily at one another. They turned towards the beach and I thought they where going to hit shore, but then more yelling and swearing and the boat made an abrupt turn away, went around some rocks then again right back towards my camp. They were laughing and joking with each other while the speakers blasted out rap music, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM. I was thinking “no please don't come here.” These guys where beginning to scare me. Then the boat turned again at the last moment, moved away from the shore and eventually disappeared around the next point - thank god.  I went to bed around 8:30 and had nice quite night. 
The beach at Cockburn Bay looking back towards the cabin
My bedroom view 

No comments:

Post a Comment