Saturday 21 November 2015

June 16th Tuesday


From:  Edmond’s Beach Campground          To: Willington Beach Campground, Powell River
Start time:0 630        Finish time: 0930      Distance: 19.5 km
Tide: Powell River
0007    3.3
0502    4.6
1219    0.7
1935    4.8

     I woke up around 5:00 a.m. and started packing up. No breakfast or even instant coffee. I was going to get breakfast in Powell River. I took down camp and was about to pack all my stuff down to the beach when a couple of the campers showed up and helped me carry everything. Wow, thanks guys. There was a light wind from the NW and it made for a bit of a rough following sea, not too bad really, but I sure wouldn’t want to be out here in a good blow.
     It was a bit of an uneventful paddle, mostly off shore. I really wanted my morning coffee and some bacon and eggs. I paddled straight into town and tied up at the government wharf then off to find a restaurant.
Powell River government wharf 
After breakfast I headed over to the Willington Beach campground, the tide was out quite a way so I left my boat on the beach and ran up to see about a campsite. The young woman in the office was nice enough to give me one of the precious beachfront campsites - so convenient.
My camp spot for the night 
I set up camp and charged all of my electronics and then took a walk down the Willington Beach Trail. The Powell River forestry museum society maintains an assortment of vintage logging equipment along the trail. I operate heavy equipment for a living so I really enjoyed the displays and can appreciate the level of skill it took to operate some of this old iron. My evening ended with a great meal at a Greek restaurant, then I hung out at the beach playing some tunes on my grandson’s ukulele, before bedtime at 8:30 p.m.
Steam donkey on skids, this was the work horse of the logging industry at one time
I operate almost every type of heavy equipment out there but I would love to jump in one of these old shovels just once
D6 cat
Old road grader, I operate a modern version grader with hydraulic controls, you'd have to have some strong arms to turn the hand cranks on this one all day

Old dozer boat, these are a lot of fun to operate

No comments:

Post a Comment